RUSS MILES: Microservices Workshop
Ever experienced that moment where your heart sinks at the words “We just want you to make this one, small and trivial change…”.
If you build software, change is an inevitable force in your life and your ability to react to change can be the difference between a killer product and a last-to-the-post flop.
Given that change and speed of software evolution is so critical, why is it that so much software becomes a millstone around yourself and your team’s necks, leaving you dreading the next inevitable change that’s needed? For over 10 years, the focus has been consistently applied to helping us work in a more agile and adaptable fashion, with far less focus on how to create software that thrives in an agile environment.
As companies are becoming more and more agile, and we see how they can now adapt in order to innovate and compete faster than their competition, software development teams are being forced to maintain and evolve large, monolithic applications at a pace of change that those architectures were never meant to withstand, let alone embrace!
Microservices are a new approach to architecting applications that embrace and thrive on change. They are simple, single-purpose, lightweight architectural components that enable you to deliver software faster. The microservice architectural approach also aims to lead to software that thrives on change while at the same time being secure, performant, and stable.
This hands-on, extremely practical course will teach you how and why to design, deploy and manage micro service based architectures. Using microservices, this course will teach you how to build software that adapts as fast as your business and requirements do.
Learn how to:
- Learn why Antifragile Software is the key to enabling software systems that thrive on change and enable innovation.
- Learn how to architect, design, build, deploy and manage antifragile software systems using microservices.
Architecture & Design for Simplicity and Antifragility:
- Introducing Antifragile Software and Simplicity
- Defining Microservices in term of their Principles, Benefits and Challenges
- Understand and explore the forces (stressors) of change on software
- Applying Simplicity, with O.R.E.
- Architecting and Designing for Software System Evolution with the Life Preserver tool
- Organising for concerns and simple components
- How to collaborate to discover change stressors on your software system
- Organising components for change
Implementing Antifragile Software with Simple Components, Events & Microservices:
- Exploring and Managing change-stressor fault-lines between areas of your system
- Designing software bridges that handle change across fault-lines
- Applying de-coupling intelligently, balancing flexility and complexity
- Applying Request-Response, Messaging and Events
- Designing, when to apply and implement Postel’s Law
Deploying, Running, Testing & Managing Antifragile Software with Microservices:
- Extracting components into Microservices
- Building, Deploying and Managing Effective Unix-style Microservice Pipelines
- Simplifying Microservice Management using Immutable Service Deployments
- Designing and Implementing Reactive Microservices
- Applying effective health and monitoring for microservices
- Designing and Implementing Microservice Failover and Auto-Recovery Strategies using the Circuit Breaker Pattern and Friends
- Designing and Implementing for Autonomy with Microservice ‘Cells’
- Enabling Governance and Innovation with Microservices
- Enabling Variation and Experimentation in Languages and Frameworks through Microservices
- Testing stressors for failure to avoid failure
- Testing and Continuous Delivery for Microservices